Saturday, November 21, 2009

"Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater

Vampires are all the rage, right now, and don't get me wrong, they're very cool, but I have always had a fascination with werewolves. Not the horror-movie wolf-human hybrid monsters, but real humans who transform into real wolves.

The idea of running furred on four feet through the beautiful wild woods, exploring a richly scented world with a highly sensitive nose, and surrounded by a loving family of pack-mates strongly appeals to me. And the idea of having a choice between this and a humdrum human life is exciting, so I couldn't wait to crack open "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater.

Wow! I got all the above and so much more!

Her writing is magical and poetic with being precious, and her descriptions of wolf life are very realistic. Her plotting is suspenseful and keeps you guessing until the very end.

And the romance, ohhh, the Romance (with a capital 'R')!
This is the most unabashedly romantic book I have read in a long, long time. I wept several times for Grace and Sam, for their joy in each other and their tragedy.

This is a very entertaining and satisfying book. Read it!

Review by Christine Demarais, Youth Services Assistant

No comments: